Estimation of Sunlight Direction Using 3D Object Models
The direction of sunlight is an important informative cue in a number of applications in image processing, such as augmented reality and object recognition. In general, existing methods to estimate the direction of the sunlight rely on different image features (e.g., sky, texture, shadows, and shading). These features can be considered as weak informative cues as no single feature can reliably estimate the sunlight direction. Moreover, existing methods may require that the camera parameters are known limiting their applicability. In this paper, we present a new method to estimate the sunlight direction from a single (outdoor) image by inferring casts shadows through object modeling and recognition.
First, objects (e.g., cars or persons) are first (automatically) recognized in images by exemplar-SVMs. Instead of training the Support Vector Machine (SVMs) using natural images (limited variation in viewpoints), we propose to train on 2D object samples generated from 3D object models. Then, the recognized objects are used as sundial cues (probes) to estimate the sunlight direction by inferring the corresponding shadows generated by 3D object models considering different illumination directions. We demonstrate the effectiveness of our approach on synthetic and realimages. Experiments show that our method estimates the azimuth angle accurately within a quadrant (smaller than 45°) and compute the zenith angle with mean angular error of 23°.
Related Image Processing Project Titles:
- Spatial Response Matched Filter and Its Application in Radiometric Accuracy Improvement of FY 2 Satellite Thermal Infrared Band.
- Compressed Sensing of a Remote Sensing Image Based on the Priors of the Reference Image.
- Four Class Classification of Skin Lesions With Task Decomposition Strategy.
- A Learning Framework for Age Rank Estimation Based on Face Images With Scattering Transform.
- Microstructural characterization of the pia arachnoid complex using optical coherence tomography.
- Operational BRDF Effects Correction for Wide-Field-of-View Optical Scanners (BREFCOR).
- Influence of the Contact Opening Speed on DC Vacuum Arc.
- Precise Three Dimensional Stereo Localization of Corner Reflectors and Persistent Scatterers With TerraSAR-X.
- Quantifying Tidal Mud Flat Elevations From Fixed-Platform Long-Wave Infrared Imagery.
- Trigger Wave Asynchronous Cellular Logic Array for Fast Binary Image Processing.
- Image Processing for Identification of Sea-Ice Floes and the Floe Size Distributions.
- Hipacc: A Domain Specific Language and Compiler for Image Processing.
- Extraction of Energy Information From Analog Meters Using Image Processing.
- Efficient Learning of Image Super-resolution and Compression Artifact Removal with Semi local Gaussian Processes.
- Combining image processing and laser fault injections for characterizing a hardware AES.
- Image Processing and Analysis for Single Molecule Localization Microscopy: Computation for nanoscale imaging.
- Active Learning With Gaussian Process Classifier for Hyper spectral Image Classification.
- Deblurred Images Post-Processing by Poisson Warping.
- Terahertz Imaging Radar With Inverse Aperture Synthesis Techniques: System Structure, Signal Processing, and Experiment Results.
- Colloidal Quantum Dot-Based Light Emitting Diodes With Solution Processed Electron Transporting Layer for Cellular Imaging.
- Image Pair Analysis With Matrix Value Operator.
- Online High Precision Probabilistic Localization of Robotic Fish Using Visual and Inertial Cues.
- Stable Mean Shift Algorithm and Its Application to the Segmentation of Arbitrarily Large Remote Sensing Images.
- Breast Segmentation and Density Estimation in Breast MRI: A Fully Automatic Framework.