3D Localization of Reflectors and Persistent Scatterers
This paper reports on the absolute 3-D localization of radar corner reflectors and persistent scatterers (PSs) by stereo synthetic aperture radar (SAR) carried out with TerraSAR-X and TanDEM-X. The novel combination of rigorously linearized range-Doppler equations with thorough sensor modeling, consideration of atmospheric delays, geodynamic signals, satellite dynamics, and geometrical calibration allows a direct target localization at the centimeter level. Therefore, there is no need for the application of geocoding since our approach delivers 3-D positions directly in the International Terrestrial Reference Frame (ITRF) 2008.
Four radar corner reflectors located at the Wettzell Geodetic Observatory, Metsähovi Geodetic Observatory, and German Antarctic Receiving Station O’Higgins were localized in 3-D with a precision better than 4 cm. By introducing an updated geometrical calibration of TerraSAR-X and TanDEM-X, the absolute accuracy of the same level becomes possible, which was demonstrated by externally validating the reflector positions at Metsähovi and Wettzell against results of terrestrial geodetic surveying. Furthermore, PSs located in Berlin were retrieved with a precision of 10 cm, making the method a suitable tool for radar “positioning” in urban environments. Potential fields of application for our approach are the joint analysis with phase-based methods, geometrical calibration of radar satellites, and direct integration of SAR observations into Global Navigation Satellite System networks.
Related Image Processing Project Titles:
- Quantifying Tidal Mud Flat Elevations From Fixed-Platform Long-Wave Infrared Imagery.
- Trigger Wave Asynchronous Cellular Logic Array for Fast Binary Image Processing.
- Image Processing for Identification of Sea-Ice Floes and the Floe Size Distributions.
- Hipacc: A Domain Specific Language and Compiler for Image Processing.
- Extraction of Energy Information From Analog Meters Using Image Processing.
- Efficient Learning of Image Super-resolution and Compression Artifact Removal with Semi local Gaussian Processes.
- Combining image processing and laser fault injections for characterizing a hardware AES.
- Image Processing and Analysis for Single Molecule Localization Microscopy: Computation for nanoscale imaging.
- Active Learning With Gaussian Process Classifier for Hyper spectral Image Classification.
- Deblurred Images Post-Processing by Poisson Warping.
- Terahertz Imaging Radar With Inverse Aperture Synthesis Techniques: System Structure, Signal Processing, and Experiment Results.
- Colloidal Quantum Dot-Based Light Emitting Diodes With Solution Processed Electron Transporting Layer for Cellular Imaging.
- Image Pair Analysis With Matrix Value Operator.
- Online High Precision Probabilistic Localization of Robotic Fish Using Visual and Inertial Cues.
- Stable Mean Shift Algorithm and Its Application to the Segmentation of Arbitrarily Large Remote Sensing Images.
- Breast Segmentation and Density Estimation in Breast MRI: A Fully Automatic Framework.
- Estimation of Sunlight Direction Using 3D Object Models.
- Spatial Response Matched Filter and Its Application in Radiometric Accuracy Improvement of FY 2 Satellite Thermal Infrared Band.
- Compressed Sensing of a Remote Sensing Image Based on the Priors of the Reference Image.
- Four Class Classification of Skin Lesions With Task Decomposition Strategy.
- A Learning Framework for Age Rank Estimation Based on Face Images With Scattering Transform.
- Microstructural characterization of the pia arachnoid complex using optical coherence tomography.
- Operational BRDF Effects Correction for Wide-Field-of-View Optical Scanners (BREFCOR).
- Influence of the Contact Opening Speed on DC Vacuum Arc.