Quantifying Tidal Mud Elevations From Infrared Imagery
A procedure for estimating tidal mud flat topography from fixed-platform, long-wave infrared imagery is presented. Shallow water and low bearing capacity on many mud flats hinder traditional surveying methods by water craft, walking, or land vehicle. The approach utilizes identification of the intersection of water with the surface of the mud flat through a rising tide. Waterlines on mud flats are often indistinguishable to the naked eye and in visible-band imagery.
Long-wave infrared imagery, relying on emitted radiance, provides a more distinct delineation between an exposed mud flat and water. The waterline is identified via an image intensity threshold and transferred to real-world coordinates using a geometrical transformation model that accounts for potential imager sway. Elevation estimates, interpolated to a uniform grid, show excellent agreement (absolute error generally less than 0.02 m) with ground truth elevations obtained using a sled-mounted global positioning survey system.
Related Image Processing Project Titles:
- Trigger Wave Asynchronous Cellular Logic Array for Fast Binary Image Processing.
- Image Processing for Identification of Sea-Ice Floes and the Floe Size Distributions.
- Hipacc: A Domain Specific Language and Compiler for Image Processing.
- Extraction of Energy Information From Analog Meters Using Image Processing.
- Efficient Learning of Image Super-resolution and Compression Artifact Removal with Semi local Gaussian Processes.
- Combining image processing and laser fault injections for characterizing a hardware AES.
- Image Processing and Analysis for Single Molecule Localization Microscopy: Computation for nanoscale imaging.
- Active Learning With Gaussian Process Classifier for Hyper spectral Image Classification.
- Deblurred Images Post-Processing by Poisson Warping.
- Terahertz Imaging Radar With Inverse Aperture Synthesis Techniques: System Structure, Signal Processing, and Experiment Results.
- Colloidal Quantum Dot-Based Light Emitting Diodes With Solution Processed Electron Transporting Layer for Cellular Imaging.
- Image Pair Analysis With Matrix Value Operator.
- Online High Precision Probabilistic Localization of Robotic Fish Using Visual and Inertial Cues.
- Stable Mean Shift Algorithm and Its Application to the Segmentation of Arbitrarily Large Remote Sensing Images.
- Breast Segmentation and Density Estimation in Breast MRI: A Fully Automatic Framework.
- Estimation of Sunlight Direction Using 3D Object Models.
- Spatial Response Matched Filter and Its Application in Radiometric Accuracy Improvement of FY 2 Satellite Thermal Infrared Band.
- Compressed Sensing of a Remote Sensing Image Based on the Priors of the Reference Image.
- Four Class Classification of Skin Lesions With Task Decomposition Strategy.
- A Learning Framework for Age Rank Estimation Based on Face Images With Scattering Transform.
- Microstructural characterization of the pia arachnoid complex using optical coherence tomography.
- Operational BRDF Effects Correction for Wide-Field-of-View Optical Scanners (BREFCOR).
- Influence of the Contact Opening Speed on DC Vacuum Arc.
- Precise Three Dimensional Stereo Localization of Corner Reflectors and Persistent Scatterers With TerraSAR-X.