BRDF Correction for Wide Field of View Optical Scanners
The radiometric correction of airborne imagery aims at providing unbiased spectral information about the Earth’s surface. Correction steps include system calibration, geometric correction, and the compensation for atmospheric effects. Such preprocessed data are affected by the bidirectional reflectance distribution function (BRDF), which requires an additional compensation step. We present a novel method for a surface-cover-dependent BRDF effects correction (BREFCOR). It uses a continuous index based on bottom-of-atmosphere reflectances to tune the Ross-Thick Li-Sparse BRDF model.
This calibrated model is then used to correct for observation-angle-dependent anisotropy. The method shows its benefits specifically for wide-field-of-view airborne systems where BRDF effects strongly affect image quality. Evaluation results are shown for sample data from a multispectral photogrammetric Leica ADS camera system and for HYSPEX imaging spectroscopy data. The scalability of the procedure for various kinds of sensor configurations allows for its operational use as part of standard processing systems.
Related Image Processing Project Titles:
- Influence of the Contact Opening Speed on DC Vacuum Arc.
- Precise Three Dimensional Stereo Localization of Corner Reflectors and Persistent Scatterers With TerraSAR-X.
- Quantifying Tidal Mud Flat Elevations From Fixed-Platform Long-Wave Infrared Imagery.
- Trigger Wave Asynchronous Cellular Logic Array for Fast Binary Image Processing.
- Image Processing for Identification of Sea-Ice Floes and the Floe Size Distributions.
- Hipacc: A Domain Specific Language and Compiler for Image Processing.
- Extraction of Energy Information From Analog Meters Using Image Processing.
- Efficient Learning of Image Super-resolution and Compression Artifact Removal with Semi local Gaussian Processes.
- Combining image processing and laser fault injections for characterizing a hardware AES.
- Image Processing and Analysis for Single Molecule Localization Microscopy: Computation for nanoscale imaging.
- Active Learning With Gaussian Process Classifier for Hyper spectral Image Classification.
- Deblurred Images Post-Processing by Poisson Warping.
- Terahertz Imaging Radar With Inverse Aperture Synthesis Techniques: System Structure, Signal Processing, and Experiment Results.
- Colloidal Quantum Dot-Based Light Emitting Diodes With Solution Processed Electron Transporting Layer for Cellular Imaging.
- Image Pair Analysis With Matrix Value Operator.
- Online High Precision Probabilistic Localization of Robotic Fish Using Visual and Inertial Cues.
- Stable Mean Shift Algorithm and Its Application to the Segmentation of Arbitrarily Large Remote Sensing Images.
- Breast Segmentation and Density Estimation in Breast MRI: A Fully Automatic Framework.
- Estimation of Sunlight Direction Using 3D Object Models.
- Spatial Response Matched Filter and Its Application in Radiometric Accuracy Improvement of FY 2 Satellite Thermal Infrared Band.
- Compressed Sensing of a Remote Sensing Image Based on the Priors of the Reference Image.
- Four Class Classification of Skin Lesions With Task Decomposition Strategy.
- A Learning Framework for Age Rank Estimation Based on Face Images With Scattering Transform.
- Microstructural characterization of the pia arachnoid complex using optical coherence tomography.