Identification of Sea Ice Floes and the Size Distributions
An unmanned aerial vehicle was used as a mobile sensor platform to collect sea-ice features at Ny-Ålesund in early May 2011, and severalimage processing algorithms have been applied to samples of sea-iceimages to extract useful information about sea ice. The sea-ice statistics given by the floe size distribution, being an important parameter for climate and wave- and structure-ice analysis, is challenging to calculate due to difficulties in ice floe identification, particularly the separation of seemingly connected ice floes. In this paper, the gradient vector flow (GVF) snake algorithm is applied to solve this problem.
To evolve the GVF snake algorithm automatically, an initialization based on the distance transform is proposed to detect individual ice floes, and the morphological cleaning is afterward applied to smoothen the shape of each identified ice floe. Based on the identification result, the image is separated into four different layers: ice floes, brash pieces, slush, and water. This makes it further possible to present a color map of the ice floes and brash pieces based on sizes, and the corresponding ice floe size distribution histogram. The proposed algorithm yields an acceptable identification result, and its effectiveness is demonstrated in a case study. A discussion on the methods and results concludes the paper.
Related Image Processing Project Titles:
- Hipacc: A Domain Specific Language and Compiler for Image Processing.
- Extraction of Energy Information From Analog Meters Using Image Processing.
- Efficient Learning of Image Super-resolution and Compression Artifact Removal with Semi local Gaussian Processes.
- Combining image processing and laser fault injections for characterizing a hardware AES.
- Image Processing and Analysis for Single Molecule Localization Microscopy: Computation for nanoscale imaging.
- Active Learning With Gaussian Process Classifier for Hyper spectral Image Classification.
- Deblurred Images Post-Processing by Poisson Warping.
- Terahertz Imaging Radar With Inverse Aperture Synthesis Techniques: System Structure, Signal Processing, and Experiment Results.
- Colloidal Quantum Dot-Based Light Emitting Diodes With Solution Processed Electron Transporting Layer for Cellular Imaging.
- Image Pair Analysis With Matrix Value Operator.
- Online High Precision Probabilistic Localization of Robotic Fish Using Visual and Inertial Cues.
- Stable Mean Shift Algorithm and Its Application to the Segmentation of Arbitrarily Large Remote Sensing Images.
- Breast Segmentation and Density Estimation in Breast MRI: A Fully Automatic Framework.
- Estimation of Sunlight Direction Using 3D Object Models.
- Spatial Response Matched Filter and Its Application in Radiometric Accuracy Improvement of FY 2 Satellite Thermal Infrared Band.
- Compressed Sensing of a Remote Sensing Image Based on the Priors of the Reference Image.
- Four Class Classification of Skin Lesions With Task Decomposition Strategy.
- A Learning Framework for Age Rank Estimation Based on Face Images With Scattering Transform.
- Microstructural characterization of the pia arachnoid complex using optical coherence tomography.
- Operational BRDF Effects Correction for Wide-Field-of-View Optical Scanners (BREFCOR).
- Influence of the Contact Opening Speed on DC Vacuum Arc.
- Precise Three Dimensional Stereo Localization of Corner Reflectors and Persistent Scatterers With TerraSAR-X.
- Quantifying Tidal Mud Flat Elevations From Fixed-Platform Long-Wave Infrared Imagery.
- Trigger Wave Asynchronous Cellular Logic Array for Fast Binary Image Processing.