DN Values and Geometric Errors in Nighttime Lights
The Defense Meteorological Satellite Program’s Operational Linescan System (DMSP-OLS) nighttime lights imagery has proven to be a powerful remote sensing tool to monitor urbanization and assess socioeconomic activities at large scales. However, the existence of incompatible digital number (DN) values and geometric errors severely limit application of nighttime light image data on multiyear quantitative research. In this paper, we extend and improve previous studies on intercalibrating nighttime lights image data to obtain more compatible and reliable nighttime lights time-series (NLT) image data for China and the U.S. through four steps, namely, intercalibration, geometric correction, steady-increase adjustment, and population data correction.
We then use gross domestic product (GDP) data to test the processed NLT image data indirectly and find that sum light (summed DN value of pixels in a nighttime light image) maintains apparent increase trends with relatively large GDP growth rates but does not increase or decrease with relatively small GDP growth rates. As nighttime light is a sensitive indicator for economic activity, the temporally consistent trends between sum light and GDP growth rate imply that brightness of nighttime lights on the ground is correctly represented by the processed NLT image data. Finally, through analyzing the corrected NLT image data from 1992 to 2008, we find that China experienced apparent nighttime lights development in 1992-1997 and 2001-2008, respectively, and the U.S. showed nighttime lights decay in large areas after 2001.
Related DIP Project Titles:
- Analysis of Interactions Among Two Tropical Depressions and Typhoons Tembin and Bolaven (2012) in Pacific Ocean by Using Satellite Cloud Images.
- Quantitative Aspects of Single-Molecule Microscopy: Information-theoretic analysis of single-molecule data.
- MTSAT-1R Visible Imager Point Spread Function Correction, Part II: Theory.
- A Fast Integral Image Computing Hardware Architecture With High Power and Area Efficiency.
- Active Contour-Based Cell Segmentation During Freezing and Its Application in Cryopreservation.
- A Novel Stability Quantification for Disk Laser Welding by Using Frequency Correlation Coefficient Between Multiple-Optics Signals.
- Validation of a Nonrigid Registration Error Detection Algorithm Using Clinical MRI Brain Data.
- Superpixel Segmentation for Polarimetric SAR Imagery Using Local Iterative Clustering.
- A Fast Radial Scanned Near-Field 3-D SAR Imaging System and the Reconstruction Method.
- Extracting Man-Made Objects From High Spatial Resolution Remote Sensing Images via Fast Level Set Evolutions.
- A Self-Adaptive Wavelet-Based Algorithm for Wave Measurement Using Nautical Radar.
- Aircraft Recognition in High-Resolution Optical Satellite Remote Sensing Images.
- Analysis of Laser Speckle Contrast Images Variability Using a Novel Empirical Mode Decomposition: Comparison of Results With Laser Doppler Flowmetry Signals Variability.
- Vibration Spectrum Imaging: A Novel Bearing Fault Classification Approach.
- Median Filtered Image Quality Enhancement and Anti-Forensics via Variational Deconvolution.
- Stereoscopic Visualization and 3-D Technologies in Medical Endoscopic Teleoperation.
- A Methodology for Visually Lossless JPEG2000 Compression of Monochrome Stereo Images.
- Geometrically Consistent Stereoscopic Image Editing Using Patch-Based Synthesis.
- Quantitative Error Analysis of Bilateral Filtering.
- Consistency-Driven Alternating Optimization for Multigraph Matching: A Unified Approach.
- Entertainment and Immersive Content: What’s in store for your viewing pleasure.
- Binocular Suppression-Based Stereoscopic Video Coding by Joint Rate Control With KKT Conditions for a Hybrid Video Codec System.
- Overview of Measurement Methods for Factors Affecting the Human Visual System in 3D Displays.
- Improving the Spatial Resolution of Landsat TM/ETM+ Through Fusion With SPOT5 Images via Learning-Based Super-Resolution.
Subscribe Our Youtube Channel
You can Watch all Subjects Matlab & Simulink latest Innovative Project Results
We want to support Uncompromise Matlab service for all your Requirements Our Reseachers and Technical team keep update the technology for all subjects ,We assure We Meet out Your Needs.
- Matlab Research Paper Help
- Matlab assignment help
- Matlab Project Help
- Matlab Homework Help
- Simulink assignment help
- Simulink Project Help
- Simulink Homework Help
- Matlab Research Paper Help
- NS3 Research Paper Help
- Omnet++ Research Paper Help
- Customised Matlab Assignments
- Global Assignment Knowledge
- Best Assignment Writers
- Certified Matlab Trainers
- Experienced Matlab Developers
- Over 400k+ Satisfied Students
- Ontime support
- Best Price Guarantee
- Plagiarism Free Work
- Correct Citations
Expert Matlab services just 1-click
Unlimited support we offer you
For better understanding purpose we provide following Materials for all Kind of Research & Assignment & Homework service.
- Result snapshot
- Video Tutorial
- Instructions Profile
- Sofware Install Guide
- Execution Guidance
- Implement Plan
Matlab projects innovators has laid our steps in all dimension related to math works.Our concern support matlab projects for more than 10 years.Many Research scholars are benefited by our matlab projects service.We are trusted institution who supplies matlab projects for many universities and colleges.
Reasons to choose Matlab Projects .org???
Our Service are widely utilized by Research centers.More than 5000+ Projects & Thesis has been provided by us to Students & Research Scholars. All current mathworks software versions are being updated by us.
Our concern has provided the required solution for all the above mention technical problems required by clients with best Customer Support.
- Novel Idea
- Ontime Delivery
- Best Prices
- Unique Work